Season: 2 Episode: 026
Have you ever been called a gossip, competitive or controlling just because you’re a woman? Stereotypes are common in our culture and sometimes they’re true. How do we break free from what culture says about us and embrace who God says we are? Today, Shanda interviews Simi John, author of I Am Not: Break Free From Stereotypes and Become the Woman God Made You to Be. She tackles 8 common stereotypes among women and how to overcome them.
“Comparison doesn’t only make me dislike you, but it makes me dislike me.”
“If I’m satisfied in the finished work of the cross, I am confident in who I am.”
“The enemy keeps women divided because he knows the impact they have when they’re united.”
“When you know your identity there’s a sense of freedom.”
“If you don’t know your identity, you live for your identity.”
Blog: The Ideal Woman
Instagram and Facebook: @shandafulbright
Join my Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2584147064952378/?ref=group_browse
Free Resources: https://shandafulbright.com/lihks
YouTube: Shanda Fulbright
Simi John Contacts: @simijohn on Instagram and Facebook
Feel free to email with questions or episode topics. If you recommend a topic for an episode and I use it, I will dedicate it to you.
Welcome back, my friend. You are listening to episode 26: I Am Not: Break Free From Stereotypes, with Simi John. I’m really excited to have Simi as my guest today. She is going to talk about stereotypes women have been branded with and how we can break free and become the woman God has called us to be.
Simi lives in Oklahoma with her husband, Jayson, and her two children. She is passionate about helping women walk in their God given identity. Her passion is contagious and clear on every page of her new devotional titled “I Am Not: Break free from stereotypes and become the woman God made you to be.” She and her husband also lead a church in Norman, Oklahoma.
Hi Simi! Welcome to the show!
Before we get into all the good stuff we’re going to talk about today, why don’t you …
1) Tell us a little about yourself, your background and your family.
2) You just wrote a devotional book called I Am Not: Break free from stereotypes and become the woman God made you to be. What led you to write about the topic of stereotypes and what personal experience do you have with this?
3) In your book, you talk about 8 stereotypes about women. One of them that comes up often is comparison amongst friends. What is the root of comparison and how do we overcome it? Is it possible to have healthy relationships without comparison?
4) Some of the women you used in your book, I Am Not, are at odds with other women: Rachel and Leah, Sarah and Hagar, Hannah and Penninah. Why do women seem to fulfill the stereotypes they are branded with when other women are involved?
5) What is your take on how the word of God changes us so that we don’t live up to the stereotypes our culture has accepted when it comes to women?
6) What are your final thoughts about living a life that inspires others to live out their faith for the Lord?
How can the listener connect with you?
Thank you so much for being on the show today. I can’t wait for everyone to go on Amazon and purchase this devotional. All of the contact info for Simi is in the show notes, so go to shandafulbright.com to grab it and the link to amazon for the book. In the meantime, break free from those stereotypes by allowing God to transform your life and I’ll catch you on the next one, my friend.
Facebook: Simni John Speaks
YouTube Simi John TV